Across the Pond...in books and in person.

Welcome! Since I write two English mystery series, I thought it would be fun to chat about that. And about England. Specifically, Derbyshire, since that is the county I know the best. If you have questions about my books, about mysteries or your own writing, or want to know something about England -- perhaps you're planning a visit -- I'd love to talk with you. Let's start chatting, shall we?

Derbyshire VIllage

Derbyshire VIllage

Monday, February 28, 2011

It All Boils Down to Promotion

Over the weekend I created three different posters.  These will advertise my book signing at the Castle.  One will be displayed in the courtyard and one will be in the tearoom -- both places are substantial scenes in my book Swan Song.  I did it kind of like a newspaper headline, catching the reader's interest.  The one for the tearoom says "What besides tea was brewing in the castle's tea room?"  The courtyard poster reads "Was murder plotted here?"  The other poster is a generic thing, so several of those will be printed.  Those will be up in the ticket office, great hall and entrance.  All to entice the visitor to come to the tea room, see me and buy the book.

I hope it works.  Obviously.  Long way to go for a flop.  I am hopeful, however, that I will do fairly well since a good portion of the book takes place in the Castle and the visitor is in the Castle.  How cool is it to buy a book of the place you are actually visiting?  I did that years ago when I was in Glastonbury.  It was a mammoth book, probably three or four inches thick.  It was a novel about the good ole days of knights and quests and fair maidens.  I can't recall the storyline now (I mean, come on, I bought the book in the 1970s) but I do remember thinking it was fun to read because I had been in the area and could picture what the author talked about.


Perhaps that will happen to readers of Swan Song.  Other spots in Derbyshire besides the castle are in the book.  Towns, villages and roads might be fun to explore if they read the book while they are in the vicinity.  Even if they don't, maybe it will be a nice remembrance of their vacation when they get home.

So, a lot is riding on these posters.  I guess time will tell if I designed them well enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment