Across the Pond...in books and in person.

Welcome! Since I write two English mystery series, I thought it would be fun to chat about that. And about England. Specifically, Derbyshire, since that is the county I know the best. If you have questions about my books, about mysteries or your own writing, or want to know something about England -- perhaps you're planning a visit -- I'd love to talk with you. Let's start chatting, shall we?

Derbyshire VIllage

Derbyshire VIllage

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Double Your Pleasure...

I wrote a short story this past Saturday.  I turned it into a play this past Sunday.  It was an interesting experience.  I had to invent another character for the play to enable my main character's short story thoughts to be vocalized to the play audience.  Actually, I think it turned out better than the story.  I also had to rearrange a couple of scenes.  Since I will submit the play to First Run Theater (who produced Teething Pains this pas October), I figure if this play is accepted it will also be produced rather minimally.  So I kept that in mind while staging the scenes.  I divided my stage in half -- left side for the kitchen and right side for the dining room.  In the story I have a scene in a pantry.  I changed that to the kitchen for the play.  Not that it matters to you, if the short story or the play ever see the printed page or the footlights, but I mention it just as an interesting side comment to the process.  I suppose this can be encountered in making a screenplay from a book.

I'm getting miffed.  I order some tartan fabric on Dec 30 from a story in Edinburgh.  I got an email saying it would be shipped on January 7. The date came and went.  Then I got an email saying it would be shipped on January 14.  The date came and went.  On their website my order doesn't even show that it's been shipped yet.  I sent an email this morning, asking what's happening.  I thought all they'd have to do is cut the yardage from the bolt of cloth.  Evidently they are weaving the cloth...after they catch the sheep to shear....  Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment