Across the Pond...in books and in person.

Welcome! Since I write two English mystery series, I thought it would be fun to chat about that. And about England. Specifically, Derbyshire, since that is the county I know the best. If you have questions about my books, about mysteries or your own writing, or want to know something about England -- perhaps you're planning a visit -- I'd love to talk with you. Let's start chatting, shall we?

Derbyshire VIllage

Derbyshire VIllage

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Couldn't Have Done Better Myself

A few photos from the current production of my play Teething Pains.  Some friends and I went this past Sunday and I admit I was nervous.  I may have mentioned this before, but a play performance is different from having a book published.  A book usually is read by one person, perhaps alone, and the person conjures up when she wants to imagine.  A play is a living, breathing entity walking about in front of many people simultaneously.  People's reactions are immediate -- do they laugh, cry, gasp...applaud?

The play was received very well, with a lot of laughter (in the correct places).  The actors were terrific, especially the dentist, David Dennis, and the patient, Laura Singleton.  The director, Delyth Wells, added a nice touch, smearing the dentist's coat with blood, and had him scooting around the floor on his dentist chair!  The rest of the cast was Casey Boland as the Sportsman, Brad Slavik as Security #1, Maurice Walters, II as Security #2, and Liz Cairns-Cullen as Lisa and Lil.  Really great performances by everyone.  Especially since I'd written the play more or less as a 'standard' production, envisioning exits stage right and stage left, and this stage had one exit only.  But the director juggled things around and it worked wonderfully.  I'm sure I won't forget this production for quite a while.

That's it.  Enjoy the photos...beautifully taken by Chaz Zahn of BEI Photography.



No comments:

Post a Comment