Across the Pond...in books and in person.

Welcome! Since I write two English mystery series, I thought it would be fun to chat about that. And about England. Specifically, Derbyshire, since that is the county I know the best. If you have questions about my books, about mysteries or your own writing, or want to know something about England -- perhaps you're planning a visit -- I'd love to talk with you. Let's start chatting, shall we?

Derbyshire VIllage

Derbyshire VIllage

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Lights, Camera...Reaction!

I think I must have an illness.  Someone cracked open the door to 21st century technology and I'm rushing through it.  I've started this blog (obviously), joined several online groups through various writing and book sites, and now I've created a book trailer!

Actually, I just discovered that there are such creatures out there.  After chatting with several online acquaintances, I decided to give it a go with SIREN SONG.  My first idea was to get two actors to portray McLaren and Linnet Isherwood, the woman who employs McLaren to tackle the cold case.  I had this entire scene firmly in my mind and even phoned a friend to ask if she knew where an old stone wall or barn was.  I thought about employing the actors, the clothing and props needed....  I was on a roll!  But then my practical side took over and whispered words into my ear.  "Expense...time...acting agencies...equipment...

Plan B turned out just as well, I think.  Two people have viewed the video and they were amazed not only at it for its own sake but also that I created the video (using iMovie software on my computer) without any help, instruction, previous knowledge....  I was amazed at myself, too, being a computer-challenged person!

So, the book trailer is finished and posted.  If you view let, please tell me what you think of my first endeavor.  It's at  http://crimespace.ning.com/profile/JoAHiestand   and I think you just click on the underscored video title "Siren Song trailer" to view it.

I got all sorts of information and advice on making it, probably the most important being its running time.  I compromised between the extremes.  Anyway, the trailer is supposed to enthuse the viewer into buying/reading the book.  I sincerely hope I have!  All the photos in the trailer are ones I took during my previous trip to Derbyshire.  All 100% mine -- no clipart stuff.

So, now that the euphoria of creation is dying, I have more mundane things to attend to.  But I'm thinking of creating a second book trailer...this one for my Taylor & Graham mystery A TERRIBLE ENEMY.  What's that about teaching old dogs new tricks....

No comments:

Post a Comment